Sunday, February 10, 2008

60 Minutes Easy on Hillary Clinton, Tougher on Obama

It was a shameful piece of journalism. Katie Couric totally rolled for Hillary Clinton, allowing her to hit pitch after pitch out of the ball park [read the entire transcript]:

  • Now she finds herself locked in a fierce battle with her opponent Barrack Obama. But she's already won several big states and she's got her eye on two important primaries in early March, Texas and Ohio.

    With the Democratic nomination in the balance, she remains focused, energized and anything but defeatist.
  • "Even in your deepest darkest moments, when you're exhausted, you don't think 'Oh my gosh, I'm going through this, I'm spending so much money, I'm so tired and this could be all for naught?' What if that happens?" Couric asked. "You have to, once in a while, think that. No?"

    "No, Katie," Clinton said. "You can't think like that. You have to believe you're going to win."
  • "How do you do it? I mean, the satellite interviews, the speeches, the travel, the debates, the schmoozing, the picture taking, 24/7," Couric asked. [Couric did interrupt to challenge her canned answer]
  • Asked if she pops vitamins or drinks a lot of coffee, Clinton said, "I take vitamins. I drink tea, not coffee anymore. I have really stopped drinking diet drinks. Because I found that they gave you a jolt, but they weren't good over the long run. I used to drink a lot of them. I drink tons of water. Just as much water as I can possibly drink."
  • "Not one scintilla of bad blood between you now?" Couric asked.

    "Not from my side, no," Clinton said. "I was sitting on that stage in Los Angeles and I was thinking to myself, 'This is what I have dreamed of my entire life,' you know." [Couric should've challenged this statement and pointed out her race-baiting during the South Carolina primary]
  • Asked if the media has treated her the same way as they've treated Obama, Clinton told Couric, "I think the media has certainly been very, shall we say, tough on me."

    "Tougher on you than Senator Obama?" Couric asked.

    "Or nearly anybody else, the best I can tell. But that's okay," Clinton said.

    "You've said, 'I've been through the Republican attacks. And I've been vetted.' And cynics suggest that you're insinuating there's some deep, dark secret that is in Barack Obama's past that will be somehow unveiled by a GOP attack machine," Couric said.
Coversely, Obama's interview tonight was more like a real interview [read the transcript here]:
  • "I know you'd like to consider yourself the underdog. But by the time we're finished with the next round, it's possible, maybe even likely, that you'll have more delegates than Senator Clinton. Or that you will have won more states. And that you will have raised more money. And have more money on hand. So explain to me how you're an underdog," Kroft asked.
  • "I mean, one of the problems that you have, still, is the question of experience. And you've done a lot of remarkable things in your life. But when you sit down and you look at the résumé - there's no executive experience. And, in fact, correct if I'm wrong, the only thing that you've actually run was the Harvard Law Review," Kroft pointed out.
  • "You talk about big ideas and often with a lack of specificity. And it’s been one of the complaints about your campaign," Kroft remarked.
  • To some people he can come across as being cocky and a bit aloof; others see it as confidence.

No comments: