Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Clinton Supporters Cannot Defend Hillary Candidacy

Read the transcript of James Carville trying to make the case for Hillary. This comes from his appearance on The Situation Room. It's quite pathetic:

Is there a realistic scenario that Hillary Clinton wins the Democratic nomination?

JAMES CARVILLE, DEMOCRATIC STRATEGIST, CNN CONTRIBUTOR: Well, there's a scenario. I mean there's a chance. And I -- look, there's nobody...

BLITZER: Wait a second. You say there's a scenario. You're talking a little too fast.

You say there's a scenario...

CARVILLE: A scenario.

BLITZER: But?

CARVILLE: Well, I don't -- again, there is a -- I don't know if there's a 20 percent chance, a 15 percent chance -- I don't know, a 25. First of all, she is probably going to win the popular vote. Now, one can say -- you can make an argument, secondly, she would probably carry Florida. We seem to be seeing that. So she's going to make her argument and she's going to continue to make her argument, as she should make her argument.

BLITZER: Well, let's get back to the question -- you see a realistic scenario that she could still get the nomination?

CARVILLE: I see a scenario that she could win the nomination. I don't know what -- what is a realistic scenario?

BLITZER: Well, what is a realistic scenario?

CARVILLE: I don't know. But I think she's going to be the popular -- I think there's a good chance that's she's going to be the popular vote winner. I think, in spite of -- I think she would be a -- I think there's a good case that she can make that she'd be a stronger general election candidate.

BLITZER: But just...

CARVILLE: I think she ought to be allowed to make her case.

BLITZER: But just like Al Gore won the popular vote in 2000, it was the Electoral College that mattered...

CARVILLE: Well, again, but you know what?

BLITZER: The popular vote...

CARVILLE: Democrats... BLITZER: Does it really matter?

Isn't it the delegate count that matters?

CARVILLE: Again, she's not going to go -- she's not going to get -- the point is, what's more important, voters or delegates?

If you say delegates are more important, it's one thing. And, by the way, Al Gore actually -- I don't want to re-fight the 2000 campaign right now...

BLITZER: Well, we're not going to (INAUDIBLE).

CARVILLE: ...in the Democratic Party, but that's hardly a convincing argument for Democrats.

I'm saying that she is going to see this thing through the 3rd of June. She may see it further. She's going to make her case to the super-delegates. You know, people change their minds all the time. I think she's going to continue pressing her case. And she has a good chance. Let's wait and see how the vote comes out. She probably will have more people vote for her than Senator Obama will.

BLITZER: How big is this meeting that the DNC is having on Saturday to determine Michigan and Florida?

Will that really make much of a difference?

CARVILLE: I don't know. But I know that -- and I think we've got -- if Senator Obama is the nominee, we have a lot of work to do in Florida. As you know, right on this set here, I offered to split the cost with the Obama people, with David Rohan. They refused that. Then myself and Governor Rendell and Governor Corzine offered to pick up the entire cost to have a primary in Florida and Michigan. And the Obama people refused that.

I think we made a great decision -- not -- I think it was a bad decision not to go forward, because if you look at what's happened in Florida, I think it hurt us a little bit in the general. I think we can come back for it and I think Senator Obama can still take Florida, but we've got our work cut out for us there if he's the nominee.

BLITZER: James, thanks for coming in.

This explains why some of her supporters are forced to admit the obvious. Or are they just trying to destroy Obama's chances:
ABC News' Rick Klein Reports: Staunch Clinton campaign supporter Gov. Ed Rendell said Wednesday that his favored candidate is "very unlikely" to capture the Democratic nomination, and said that will mean the Democratic Party will nominate the weaker candidate for the fall campaign against Sen. John McCain.

Rendell, D-Pa., told Bloomberg Television that he believes polls that suggest that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is a "far better candidate" than Sen. Barack Obama in swing states. But he added that he's a "realist" who recognizes that superdelegates are likely to continue to flock to Obama until he clinches the nomination.

"I'm a realist, and I think most likely the superdelegates will give Sen. Obama the votes he needs," Rendell said. "I don't think the DNC is going to fairly adjust what happened in Florida. . . . I don't think they’re going to fairly adjust it. So I think it's very unlikely that Senator Clinton can prevail. I think that means we're not going to field our strongest candidate."

No comments: