Friday, August 1, 2008

Bicyclists in New York

When did having a bicycle give people special privileges? I'm standing here in a subway care on my way to work. Standing next to me on the typically crowded morning subway car is a guy with a bike. It doesn't occur to this numbskull that there is no room for a bicycle. He doesn't care; he's priviledged.

It is common on the streets of New York to see bicyclists riding on the sidewalk. And while the rest of us, including cars, must stop at the red light, those rules don't apply to a biker. And it can dangerous for all. There have been cases where bicyclists have run over and killed pedestrians. So it is dangerous. NY City government seems oblivious to the issue. Maybe one day some politician's mother will be run over and then something will be done.

While I was writing this the train was delayed for several minutes. This has also become an increasing problem. I don't expect that to improve either, especially in these weak economic times.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: