Sunday, August 3, 2008

Obama Press Conference Transcript (8-2-08)

Read the transcript.

Q: 60 miles off of the Florida coast for drilling is a huge shift in where we are now. Are you going to do anything to discourage or oppose that element of the bill?

BO: You know, again, we don't have legislation yet. So I don't want to prejudge what's out there. I made a general point about the fact that we need to provide the American people some relief and that there has been constructive conversations between Democrats and republicans in the senate on this issue. So I applaud them on that. But I'm not ready to sign off on any particular approach or proposal, because I think that these are very important issues. the one thing that I have said consistently when it comes to the Florida coastline is that as dependant as this state is on tourism, as important as that coastline is, we've got to proceed with extreme caution when it comes to anything that would have an impact on that extraordinary treasure, not just of Florida's, but of the country as a whole.

[...]Q: Senator, you said you are not injecting race into the campaign race. Your surrogates have said that your comments about not looking like other presidents on the dollar bill is not about your race. But you did say that, back at a fund-raiser in Jacksonville, that they are going to try to make you afraid of me, that he is young and inexperienced, he's got a funny name and did I mention that he is black. How do you reconcile that?

BO: I don't think it is accurate to say that my comments have nothing to do with race. Let me make this first point. Most of the people here here at this event in Union, Missouri. Almost none of you, maybe none of you, thought that was making a racially incendiary remark or playing the race card. It wasn't until John McCain's team started pushing it that it ended up being on the front page of the New York Times two days in a row.[...]

No comments: