Wednesday, November 12, 2008

McCain on Jay Leno: Transcript, Video (11-11-08)

John McCain appeared on the 'Tonight Show' yesterday. Read the complete transcript (excerpt below).
Part1


Part 2

Part 3


Excerpt:

Jay Leno: It's been a week since the election. How are you doing?

Senator John McCain: Well, I've been sleeping like a baby. (Laughter.) Sleep two hours, wake up and cry. Sleep two hours, wake up and cry. (Laughter.)

Jay Leno: Well, how --

Senator John McCain: I gotta tell you one quick story about Arizona. As you know, the great state of Arizona I've had the honor to represent. And we have a problem in Arizona. It's really kind of a sad thing, because Barry Goldwater from Arizona ran for President of the United States. Morris Udolf (sp.) from Arizona ran for President of the United States. Bruce Babbitt from Arizona ran for President of the 1 United States. I, twice. Arizona may be the only state in America where mothers don't tell their children that some day they can grow up and be President of the United States. (Laughter.) I mean, that's a sad story.

Jay Leno: How about your wife Cindy? How is she taking it? Because sometimes --

Senator John McCain: Yeah, it's tough. It's tougher always on the family members. But she's doing fine. She's doing very fine. Thanks for having her and Meghan on the show. Appreciate it.

Jay Leno: They were great guests.

Senator John McCain: Thank you. And I'm glad to be back for my 14th time. I'm happy to be on.

Jay Leno: The day after the election, it was so weird. I turn on the TV, and I see you coming out of your house or apartment. You get in your car, and you drive somewhere by yourself.

Senator John McCain: Yeah. To get a cup of coffee, yeah. I didn't have a single accident.

Jay Leno: I mean --

Senator John McCain: Maybe one.

Jay Leno: What was that like to suddenly be surrounded -- "He's coming down the hall. Remove" -- and then suddenly -- I mean --

Senator John McCain: Well, secret service people, despite the idiot you talked about tonight, they're wonderful people. They're brave. They serve the country. They're just really the best of America. But it is a bit confining, you know. So I'm able to -- 2

Jay Leno: So what did you do that first day? Where were you driving when you --

Senator John McCain: Went down to get a cup of coffee. Cindy and I went down to get a cup of coffee and -- not the newspaper. I knew what it was going to say. (Laughter.)

Jay Leno: And you went up to the mountains too?

Senator John McCain: Yeah, went up to our place near Sedona and had a very nice time.

Jay Leno: Now, which house is that? Number 12?

Senator John McCain: You know what? That's -- let's see. 27.

Jay Leno: 27.

Senator John McCain: But we're -- you know, look, it's a great honor. It's a great privilege. It's an incredible thing that I was able to do. And I saluted, as you know, and admire and respect the winner, Senator -- President elect Barack Obama.

Jay Leno: Actually, to me, that was, I thought, a nice moment when you were talking somewhere. In the campaign when I saw ugly things going back and forth and a woman said, "Well, Barack Obama, he's an Arab or a terrorist," and you stopped and you said, "No, he's a good man and he's a family man."

Senator John McCain: Yeah, a good and decent person.

Jay Leno: And I like that. I thought that was quite impressive.

Senator John McCain: Well, you've got to have a respectful campaign. And that doesn't mean it isn't tough. I mean, campaigns are tough, and they should be because you're seeking the most important position 3 in the world. But there's a difference between being tough and being personal or angry. And look, America right now -- I don't have to tell you -- I don't have to tell anybody out here, especially those members of the military -- that we're in two wars. We've got housing problems. We've got economic crisis. We've got all these problems. Now it's time for America to join together and support the man who was just elected President.

No comments: