Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Transcript, Video: Hillary Clinton Convention Speech (8-26-08)

This is a very nifty presentation of the Hillary Clinton's speech last night from the NY Times. It shows the complete video of the speech with accompanying text.

Or read the transcript speech here. Excerpt below:

SEN. CLINTON: Thank you. (Cheers, applause.) Thank you all. (Cheers, applause.) Thank you. (Cheers, applause.) Thank you all very, very much. (Cheers, applause.) Thank you. Thank you all very much. (Cheers, applause.)

I -- I am so honored to be here tonight. (Cheers, applause.) No, I -- I'm here tonight as a proud mother, as a proud Democrat -- (cheers, applause) -- as a proud senator from New York -- (cheers, applause) -- a proud American -- (cheers, applause) -- and a proud supporter of Barack Obama. (Cheers, applause.)

My friends, it is time to take back the country we love. And whether you voted for me or you voted for Barack, the time is now to unite as a single party with a single purpose. (Cheers, applause.)

We are on the same team, and none of us can afford to sit on the sidelines. This is a fight for the future, and it's a fight we must win together. (Cheers, applause.)

I haven't spent the past 35 years in the trenches advocating for children, campaigning for universal health care -- (cheers) -- helping parents balance work and family, and fighting for women's rights here at home and around the world -- (cheers, applause) -- to see another Republican in the White House squander our promise of a country that really fulfills the hopes of our people. And you haven't worked so hard over the last 18 months or endured the last eight years to suffer through more failed leadership. (Cheers, applause.)

No way, nohow, no McCain. (Cheers, applause.)

Barack Obama is my candidate, and he must be our president. (Cheers, applause.)

Tonight I ask you to remember what a presidential election is really about. When the polls have closed and the ads are finally off the air -- (laughter) -- it comes down to you, the American people, and your lives and your children's futures. For me, it's been a privilege to meet you in your homes, your workplaces and your communities. You stories reminded me that every day America's greatness is bound up in the lives of the American people: your hard work, your devotion to duty, your love for your children, and your determination to keep going, often in the face of enormous obstacles. You've taught me so much -- (cheers, applause) -- and you made me laugh, and -- yes -- you even made me cry. (Cheers, applause.) You allowed me to become part of your lives, and you became part of mine.

I will always remember the single mom who had adopted two kids with autism. She didn't have any health insurance, and she discovered she had cancer. But she greeted me with her bald head painted with my name on it and asked me to fight for health care for her and her children. (Cheers, applause.)

No comments: